A few basic tips for novice AdWords users:
- Don't combine Search and Display. They function in fundamentally different ways.
- Use filters to quickly spot opportunities for improvement in your AdWords account.
- If you're not using negative keywords, you are wasting money.
- Bidding on broad match keywords without using negatives is a particularly budget draining!
- In fact, bidding on broad match keywords even with negative keywords can very costly!
- Google have multiple exams for AdWords qualified individuals. This is for a reason. There's more to AdWords than first meets the eye.
- Design specific ads for specific ad groups depending upon the keywords in that group & include the keyword in the ad.
- Automated rules can really help you save time when optimising your AdWords account.
- Use ad scheduling to ensure your adverts are only seen at a time that make sense for your business.
- Make use of sitelinks. It will give your adverts greater scope and options to link to other pages.
- Work out your maximum cost per click before starting. Knowing your margins will allow you to understand how much you can realistically pay for each click.
- Keyword match types make no difference in Google display advertising.
- Use AdWords Editor for updating and to take backups of your account.
You can find out more about some of these AdWords tips in our webinar videos.